Writing Prompt: Post Your Best “I Am” Poetry Lines

Hey, everyone (or no one, depending on who sees this),

I haven’t written on here because I forgot how to type. That or I forgot about my website.

News: I’m about five thousand words from finishing my newest novel, Terminal Clarity.

Yay!

So, here’s the deal for today’s prompt. Write a bunch of poetic-ish lines that start with “I am.” These should be metaphorical, such as:

• I am the sticky popsicle stick stubbornly stuck to the bottom of the bedside tin garbage can.
  • I am the left sneaker, laced to my partner, the right sneaker, doomed to an eternity dangling from Main Street’s phone line.
  • I am the skydiving white bird poo, thrilled for the impending splatter on the most expensive open convertible in the entire executive parking lot.

You get the idea. They are all metaphors, and I’m taking the perspective of them. Brilliant, huh? No? Yeah, you’re right. Not so brilliant. But it’s a good exercise.

In the comments section, post your best “I AM” line. If you have a few good ones, post ’em all. The more the merrier, fellow humans.

Random quote for you: “The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades.” —Demetri Martin

Have a lovely Tuesday.

clsjz

Advertisements
Writing Prompt: Post Your Best “I Am” Poetry Lines

46 thoughts on “Writing Prompt: Post Your Best “I Am” Poetry Lines

1. Elissa Brown says:

I am the fortissimo that drowns out the rest of the world with the vibrations of my sound, when I should be a pianissimo, the quiet one that hides in the shadows.

Liked by 2 people

2. Anonymous says:

I am the Helium balloon, let loose from a child’s hand, floating higher and higher, counting down the seconds ‘till i pop and fall to my impending doom.

I am the smelly pile of laundry that belongs to a procrastinating teenager, causing the entire room to reek.

I am the yellow snow, after being defaced by a dog’s liquid secretion.

Liked by 2 people

3. Patricia Birkholz says:

I am the silence that a big dog is barking aggressively at; I have done nothing wrong, yet I am still the fault for a raucous.

I am the spider watching a vulnerable child sleep; I could drop at any time but prefer to just watch.

I am a cigarette dangling from the chapped lips of someone who truly does not care about the ‘no smoking sign’.

Liked by 4 people

4. Anonymous says:

I am an autumn leaf cascading down from a tree on a brisk evening suspended between two worlds, the familiar tree branch above and the cold unknown below.

Liked by 2 people

5. Anonymous says:

I am the gears that turn inside the person’s mind as he ponders his new ideas for a great invention, with a pencil in one hand and a cigar in the other.

Liked by 2 people

6. Anonymous says:

I am the diary that wants to be written in, that has all the pages planed out but is just waiting for the right time to sketch them in.

7. Anonymous says:

I am an unread book hiding behind the wall of best sellers.

I am the piece of crumpled up paper in the trash holding the key to the universe.

I am that annoying pebble catching a ride on the bottom of your shoe.

Liked by 3 people

8. Anonymous says:

I am a pencil with only the slightest of a stub left for an eraser, the bearer of many mistakes.

I am a horseshoe, nailed into the bottom of a foot for support, only to be stepped on time and time again.

Liked by 2 people

9. Anonymous says:

I am the scar so small on my finger that it only affects my fingerprint enough to make me unique even to myself.

I am the tears that have dropped down and smacked the floor creating a puddle, as the words “I don’t know if she will make it.” are spoken.

I am the desk with names and other words carved in to show who was here suffering through the lectures by the teachers that don’t want to be here.

Liked by 3 people

10. Anonymous says:

I am the rusty old aisle that sits in the corner of the room, waiting for something creative to be drawn on my ancient pages.

11. Anonymous says:

I am the sticky finger the baby holds on to when it comes out into the laughing world, looking at his mother laughing like there is no care in the world.